Pineapple is a xerophyte plant, native to South America, especially Paraguay, northeastern Argentina and southern Brazil. He is best known for his fruit, which is actually a compound fruit. The word pineapple comes from tupi-guarani naná naná , which means “scent of perfumes”. The term pineapple is also an ambiguous denomination that may designate other species of Bromeliaceae , edible as the species Glomeropitcairnia penduliflora called “wild pineapple”, “pineapple wood” and “zananas mawon”, or other species of the botanical genus Pineapple like pineapple bracteatus under the names “wild pineapple” and “brown pineapple”.
Pineapple is a fruit with many benefits for our body . Indeed, it contains nutrients that will help strengthen your immune system and prevent certain diseases. This is what organic and fresh pineapple juice does to your body.
Pineapple is rich in nutrients, especially manganese, which simplifies the metabolism of carbohydrates, participates in the production of hormones and the synthesis of fatty acids and cholesterol. It is also rich in vitamin C, which strengthens our immune system and helps in the prevention of certain seasonal diseases such as colds or flu , vitamin B1, which contributes to the digestion of food energy and plays a vital role in the process of memorization and in psychological balance. In addition, this fruit is rich in vitamin B6, which regulates blood sugar levels, intervenes in the protein metabolism and simplifies a good assimilation of magnesium.
Pineapple also has a good copper content, a trace element that helps fight bacteria and microbes in our body. Finally, it is a valuable asset to strengthen our scalp and prevent hair loss.
The wonderful health benefits of pineapple juice
Credit image: Pixabay
3 health benefits of pineapple
- For cancer: Observations and several studies based on animal and cellular models suggest that bromelain , an enzyme contained in this fruit , may have a direct effect on cancer cells and their microenvironment. Among other things, it would have a good effect in the regulation of immune, inflammatory and haemostatic systems (promoting the coagulation of blood) 6. However, more studies will be needed to measure the effect in humans.
- Cardiovascular Disease: Bromelain is known for its anti-inflammatory , antithrombotic, antiplatelet and fibrinolytic properties (to dissolve blood clots). In the past, studies have also shown that bromelin reduces the risk of angina, acts against hypertension and may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. However, few clinical studies have been conducted in humans. Most have been either in vitro studies or in vivo studies in animals 6,9.
- Osteoarthritis (osteoarthritis): Some studies have shown that, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and analgesic benefits, bromelain, which is very present in pineapple, could prove to be a safe alternative treatment for osteoarthritis 7.
See also: 8 natural anti-inflammatories to treat pain
The secret of the benefits of pineapple juice: bromelain
This fruit is very popular for its good content of bromelain, an enzyme with beneficial actions for health. This enzyme has anti-inflammatory, anti-oedematous, and helps fight against cancer. This enzyme also promotes better digestion and better heart function.
Polyphenols and flavonoids: the phenolic compounds contained in plants, have antioxidant properties. They can help prevent the appearance of several diseases (cancers, cardiovascular diseases and various chronic diseases) by neutralizing the free radicals of the body. Phenolic compounds have been analyzed in this fruit, such as gallic acid, but pineapple does not really stand out compared to other fruits such as lychee, mango, or persimmon 1. This fruit nevertheless has potential antioxidant high, but lower than a dozen other common fruits, such as strawberry, lemon, orange, apple and grape 2. In addition, vitamin C contained in pineapple would contribute about 30% of its antioxidant potential.
In addition to this, pineapple is highly recommended for people with arthritis or inflammation. Indeed, bromelain would help decrease the production of prostaglandins , metabolites that are sources of inflammation. Research at Maryland’s Medical Center suggested that regular consumption of bromelain helped to reduce the pain of osteoarthritis in our knees. The researchers noted that this enzyme could have the same effect as anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or Advil.
The many benefits of pineapple juice for the body
Credit image: Pixabay
According to Dr. Luc Bodin, doctor and author of the book La bromelaine
bromelain has several properties, among which:
• Stimulation of the immune system
• Good healing after surgery
• Relieves inflammation
• Against pain caused by cancer and its treatments
Click on the image to see his book:
Dr. Bodin also defends the anti-tumor action of this enzyme. Bromelain inhibits the spread of cancer cells and prevents metastasis. According to some research, this enzyme helps reduce lung metastasis in mice by destroying a protein (CD44) that is found in cancer cells and attaches to the walls of blood vessels, which promotes the spread of tumors.
In general, to enjoy the benefits of bromelain, a person must consume 160 mg per day. This corresponds to a cup of 250 to 500 ml of fresh pineapple. This enzyme is effective only in fresh pineapple because canned pineapples do not contain bromelain. Always favor fresh and organic fruits.
So we offer you a good pineapple smoothie recipe
Here is the smoothie made from fresh pineapple and preferably organic, of course, with organic fruits to stock up on vitamins and minerals: