There are the lucky ones, those who fall asleep as soon as the head resting on the pillow. Then there are the others, who turn, turn around, look for the right position and count the sheep, but fail to fall asleep quickly. The difficulty of getting to sleep is a problem that has become commonplace.
Insomnia is not a disease, but rather a symptom, a way the body expresses itself to say that something is wrong. Sleep disorders or insomnia may be due to mental illnesses (depression , manic-depressive psychosis …), neurological (migraine, Parkinson’s disease …) or other diseases (asthma, gastro-oesophageal reflux …).
No joke or scam, it is a professor from the prestigious Harvard University (USA) who developed this technique, called “4-7-8”, as reported by the Telegraph.
Modules said respiration
Specialist in alternative medicine, Andrew Weil was inspired by the precepts of yoga to develop his technique, a formidable simplicity.
1. You can do this exercise in any position, but if you sit down, sit with your back straight and your feet on the ground. Then touch your palate with the tip of your tongue, just behind the upper incisors. And hold this position during the exercise.
2. Exhale through the mouth all the air in your lungs. You are now ready to experience 4-7-8.
3. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through the nose counting (in your head) up to 4.
4. Hold your breath counting to 7.
5. Exhale loudly through your mouth, counting to 8.
6. Repeat this breath three times in 4-7-8.
Supporting video, Andrew Weil himself demonstrates his method of 4-7-8.
How does it work?
When stressed, the heart pumps more adrenaline into the body through the bloodstream and breathing becomes more tense. Doing this exercise is a way to relax breathing, which will allow the body to take more oxygen. And when you hold your breath, oxygen takes longer to spread throughout the body. This simple technique has a sedative effect on the body.