These are small ulcers that appear in the mucous membranes in the mouth. They can appear inside the cheeks or lips, on the gums or the tongue. They are usually whitish or yellowish in color, bordered by a red circle. They are painful and provide very unpleasant burning sensations, especially when you chew.
The causes of mouth ulcers remain poorly established, but the factors that may favor their appearance are quite clear. Here is a small list:
- Food: some foods are known to promote their occurrence, such as nuts or cheese.
- Injury to the mouth: this can be due to too much brushing of the teeth, oral surgery …
- Fatigue, stress and overwork
- Dietary deficiencies, especially in group B vitamins and iron.
- Allergies to food products
- Hormonal changes: Some people may have canker sores during the period of menstruation.
- Hereditary predispositions
- Taking certain drugs, such as beta-blockers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Generally, they disappear on their own after a dozen days, however given the discomfort and pain they give, it is difficult to wait. There are some medical treatments that help to relieve pain, namely analgesic or anesthetic gels, liquids and ointments.
But we obviously advise you to opt for natural tips!
Here are 4 that will help you fight and get rid of mouth ulcers without drugs
Water with salt
Among the most popular tips to relieve the pain they cause, there are gargles salt water. Salt is a very effective antiseptic and will therefore help to eliminate pain.
Mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water and use this solution as gargles, emphasizing the area of the mouth ulcer. You can repeat this trick several times a day.
To accelerate the healing of canker sores, you can drink lemon water in the evening before sleeping. Add the juice of half a lemon in a glass of warm water and drink. Do not put sugar, but you can add honey that will sweeten the drink and accelerate healing thanks to its virtues.
Bicarbonate, like salt, has antiseptic properties, which makes it effective against canker sores. It will help reduce the pain and make the mouth ulcer disappear quickly.
Dilute a teaspoon of baking soda in ½ glass of water and rinse your mouth with this solution 4 times a day.
Note that it is also possible to put baking soda directly on the canker sore.
You will need only a few ice cubes, to put directly on your canker sores. Keep them on the painful area until they melt.
This will have a refreshing effect and will help calm the pain and reduce inflammation.
And to finish the essential oil of tea tree
Tea tree essential oil has formidable antiseptic and anti-infectious properties against canker sores.
Dilute a drop of tea tree essential oil in two drops of a vegetable oil of your choice, to apply on the mouth ulcer 3 times during the day.
How to avoid recurrence of mouth ulcers?
- Balance your diet to be richer in vitamins and minerals.
- Have better oral hygiene and brush your teeth without pressing too hard, using a soft toothbrush.
- Avoid what promotes the appearance of canker sores such as dried fruits, spices, dairy products, alcohol or some acidic fruits such as kiwi fruit. Do not remove them all from your diet, but be careful what causes canker sores in your home.
- Eat slowly and without speaking, to avoid small injuries in the mouth.
If you follow all these tips and you still have this recurring problem, you should also talk to your doctor!