While we go to the supermarket thinking to buy healthy industrial food for our little friends, complete and balanced meals touted by a very attractive advertisement, it is not so. Very few people know what they are actually buying for their dog or cat. The composition of these boxes deliberately leaves us in an undeniable soft focus: “meat and meat by-products (minimum 4% duck and minimum 4% turkey), vegetable protein extracts, fish and fish by-products, cereals , minerals, sugar, additives … “But where do these foods come from? What do the terms “meat and by-products, extracts, cereals, additives …” really mean? Forevergreen has conducted a small survey of a market that is worth about $ 35 billion worldwide each year.
The different factories producing kibble and other pet food have as main objective to valorize, by financial profits, the different waste of the whole of the food industry. In this purely financial approach, the aspect of health is relegated to the background and is therefore no longer of interest. Ingredients that can no longer be used for human consumption are thus becoming part of the diet of our pets. The sources of supply are almost inexhaustible and others will be discovered. It is therefore not surprising that all major brands are in the hands of large multinational corporations.
Sick animals and damaged meat
The meat portion, usually in the form of meat meal, whose origin is obscured, as well as the animal fats used in the composition of kibbles and boxes, are purchased from rendering companies: animals from sick farms that have been treated by various medications including antibiotics, euthanized for various reasons or putrefaction . It can also find stale foods from different supermarkets. To avoid wasting time, some rendering companies do not even bother to remove packaging , often in the form of different plastics. In some countries, dogs and cats , euthanized by veterinarians, can go to the rendering process to be processed into meat meal and animal fat.
Beaks, feathers, legs, feces of poultry or hooves, skin, urine, mammary glands, tumors, feces are integral parts of meat flours.
Plant wastes: diseases and allergies
Overall, most of the composition of kibbles and boxes consists of various cereals and plant wastes from different processing plants. Cereals contained in industrial animal feed are decommissioned batches for human consumption , for example because of poor storage conditions (moisture, molds). These cereals unfit for consumption can cause diseases in animals such as mycotoxicosis (food poisoning by mycosis), potentially fatal. The different vegetable wastes for example:
- The glutens in various forms, which are particularly indigestible residues from mills. These same glutens are involved in food allergies, kidney failure …
- The transgenic soy flour , obtained after extraction often rancid oils as interesting protein intake.
- The cellulose , an ingredient from the easily digestible manufacturers is simply a bulky and inexhaustible waste from sawmills.
Moreover, the way food is prepared deteriorates absolutely all the vitamins of the raw materials used, ultimately added in a synthetic way. Do not forget the dose of chemical dyes integrated to lure the owners of animals on the quality of food.
Industrial foods: scandalous substances
In addition to these revolting “foods” that manufacturers do not hesitate to include in the composition of kibble and boxes of our animals, many scandals demonstrate the addition of other substances. Among these, we can find melamine (substance from plastic) used fraudulently to increase the level of crude protein in animal feed, BHT , a very controversial preservative because of its carcinogenic properties, or Even more of rat death … All these substances have caused the death of thousands of dogs and cats in the world.
It seems obvious that industrial pet food is nothing but poison . Involved in many diseases, it affects the health and longevity of our friends. It is also often the cause of bad odors of the coat, the breath or the feces. It is therefore necessary to avoid this type of diet at all costs in favor of a healthy and balanced diet adapted to the animal.
Natural alternatives to industrial foods
Here are some alternatives to industrial pet food:
- If you do not have a lot of time to cook good meals yourself, today you can find foods prepared with high quality raw materials , which contain no animal by-products, such as those proposed by Swedish brand Husse . The mark is a guideline that all the ingredients of the products are fit for human consumption. It also offers bedding and herbal and aromatherapy products. Find all Husse products on .
- You can also turn to a natural organic food , such as Almonature products, perfectly balanced that you can find on the site .
- The ideal is obviously to cook the food of your favorite animal yourself. This will prevent the addition of vitamins and essential synthetic nutrients, less assimilable by the body than the natural. For this, it is better to prefer as a base of vegetables and organic cereals , in which you add raw meat . The very basis of this diet is better raw to enjoy all the nutrients essential to the good health of your pet. You can find many information and nutritional advice on the different types of foods to be included on the site .