It is surely one of the honey varieties with the most medicinal properties. One of the properties for which he is recognized is his antiseptic power. Thyme honey is heavily used for the prevention of infectious, respiratory and digestive diseases. It would also have a toning and invigorating effect, which makes it ideal in case of flu. It also has great healing abilities attributed to two antiseptic and antibacterial compounds found in thyme honey, thymol and carvacrol. As its pH is higher than in floral honeys, the proliferation of bacteria is less
It is an ally to help the healing of wounds, whether simple cuts, or more serious wounds, or even infected. The point on this remedy:
Thyme honey, for a quick and clean healing:
Using honey as healing:
The use of honey as an aid to healing is very old, but is gaining strength, both in the so-called “advanced” countries and in developing countries, where access to antibiotics is limited, due to their costs and / or their availability.
Honey naturally has antibacterial properties (it is a disinfectant), antifungal (prevents the appearance of molds). In liquid form it is easy to apply on wounds, and allows to maintain a moisture promoting healing (yes, contrary to popular belief, a wound heals better and faster when kept wet rather than dry ).
At the Limoges University Hospital, in the abdominal surgery department, honey is regularly used as an aid to healing; after cleaning the saline wound, the nurses apply a honey-soaked pad directly to the wound, which is then covered with a sterile protective pad. The dressings are replaced every day. The healing rate is improved by more than 10% after two weeks but, above all, there is no need for additional antiseptic treatment …
In Africa, in Lome, a two-year study was conducted to determine the effectiveness of honey in healing. The results are clear: 100% healing, including in complicated cases (the study included various cases, including cases of infected surgical wounds and venous ulcers); despite high risk factors (diabetes, obesity, under nutrition, HIV infection), the treatment was effective. Finally, in the framework of the study, it was demonstrated a very effective disappearance of bacterial germs (after 15 days of treatment, there was a decrease of more than 60% of the germs, 90% after 30 days, 99% after 45 days).
Why is thyme honey rather than another?
Thyme has proven antiseptic and antiviral properties.
It is commonly used in herbal medicine (in milled form, in capsules or tablets) in the treatment of pulmonary and digestive infections (especially in the treatment of diarrhea). Its antiviral properties make it a valuable ally in the prevention of recurrence of herpes and shingles.
In the form of an essential oil, thyme is very effective in the treatment of skin purification by spraying (in particular tale acne, in this case the antibacterial effects of thyme prevent the appearance of white pimples (pockets of bacteria)) .
The active ingredients of thyme are contained mainly in its flower, so it is natural that bees concentrate them when they forage, which makes thyme honey the most effective honey variety.
Help with healing, OK but for what types of wounds?
This honey provides effective help in any type of healing, but more particularly on the following types of wounds:
- scars related to juvenile acne: to use as soon as the appearance of the symptoms of acne, in the form of mask. Apply the honey, leave for 1/2 hour, then wash well. Repeat the operation daily until acne disappears, and complete amelioration of scars. This treatment can be performed in addition to drugs such as “roaccutane”, thus reducing doses and limit the second effects of the drug (back pain, joint and muscle pain, dry skin …). Honey leaves the skin very soft, and its effects are visible from the first application (usually after three applications, there is an improvement).
- burns: the honey significantly accelerates the reconstruction of the skin (start of the cicatrization accelerated noticeably). By its antibacterial effect it also helps to protect the wound.
- ulcer-type wounds: especially in the case of venous ulcers, the wound is much better protected and disinfected. Healing starts much faster (usually less than a week) and lasts less (red plaques disappear faster).
- Infected wounds: including people with weak immune systems (diabetics, HIV patients), there is a very strong decrease in bacterial germs after a few days, which allows healing in good conditions.
Benefits specific to each type of honey
Each honey, by its origin, has a different composition and has its own virtues. Among the different varieties of honey:
- The thyme honey is often presented as an excellent natural remedy with multiple properties. Among the various benefits this honey, its healing properties are particularly known. Scientific studies carried out in a rigorous protocol laboratory have revealed the benefits of this honey on the healing of wounds. These healing virtues are attributed to its antiseptic and antibacterial compounds: thymol and carvacrol. Thyme honey is also a powerful antiseptic, particularly indicated in the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases, digestive or respiratory.
- The acacia honey is considered an excellent intestinal regulator. It is especially recommended for infants and young children. Particularly concentrated in fructose, acacia honey also reveals its benefits to people with diabetes.
- The lavender honey has an antiseptic action recognized on the respiratory tract, which is explained by the presence of antibacterial agents such as formic acid and inhibin in its composition.
- The honey orange is prized for its sedative and soothing properties. It is indicated to fight against the states of stress or temporary tension.
- The heather honey has diuretic action and is recommended for urinary tract infections.
- The chestnut honey , rich in trace elements is a very good physical and mental tonic. It is recommended for people with anemia or in case of temporary tiredness.