Cervicobrachialgia can occur as a result of injury or as a negative consequence of prolonged periods of stress and is caused by irritation of some of the nerves in the neck, particularly those responsible for controlling arm activity. Symptoms, ex. Brachialgia, may cover parts such as shoulder blade, shoulder, arm, elbow, and forearm and / or hand. Alternate showers, with hot and cold temperatures, can relieve your pain.
His name is a little difficult, but cervicobrachialgia is much more common than you might think.
It is a pain that begins in the neck and spreads through the spine to the arms or even to the fingers in the most severe cases. It can be very disabling.
Many people think that it only affects those who play sports on a regular basis. But factors such as stress, chronic anxiety and osteoarthritis can cause this painful condition.
However, cervicobrachialgia is very well treated with medication. But in the most serious cases, those affected are forced to resort to surgery.
Cervicobrachialgia: when the slightest movement becomes painful
Move your head, grab an object, sit down, read, lie down … even breathe, all these benign actions can cause intense pain if you have cervicobrachialgia because it focuses on the spine.
It is not therefore a cervical lesion or a contracture. It is much more serious than that.
Visualize the upper area of your spine. It is the one that extends from the vertebra C1 to the vertebra C7, which are the smallest of all the column.
- These small vertebrae are composed of ligaments, tendons, muscles and nerve fibers.
- When they catch fire, the pain can spread through many areas of our body.
It is therefore very common for inflammation to begin in the spine and reach the shoulders, shoulder blades, arms and thorax.
What are the causes of cervicobrachialgia?
The main cause (80%) of cervico-brachial neuralgia is cervical dysfunction
- Traumatic lesions often cause this pathology. As we told you at the beginning of the article, this is one of the main causes of cervicobrachialgia. Lesions are often caused by an accident or the regular practice of a sport. Dislocations, fractures or muscle wear are the most common lesions.
- But periods of prolonged stress and anxiety can also cause this situation. We must learn to manage our emotions.
- Inflammatory processes, such as rheumatism, are not neglected either.
- People affected by degenerative diseases, such as osteoarthritis, may also suffer from cervicobrachialgia.
- Infectious processes, such as tuberculosis, are also likely to cause it.
Therefore, the person with cervico-brachial or brachialgia neuralgia should be evaluated in manual medicine to confirm the diagnosis and determine the indication of appropriate corrective care.
What are the symptoms ?
You have already heard a person tell you that he was stabbed in the back. Cervicobrachialgia causes more or less this sensation.
But the pain is not limited to its area of origin, it spreads to other parts of the body in the form of a very intense heat.
- This pathology, in addition to the pain that we have just described, is also characterized by intense cramps, increased sensitivity, great muscle sensitivity, redness or a sensation of cold or intense heat, similar to that caused by a burn.
- It is also possible that it causes headaches, difficulty moving the neck, dizziness and nausea. The slightest movement can become the source of intense discomfort.
What are the treatments that treat and treat cervicobrachialgia?
Cervicobrachialgia requires personalized treatment, which only doctors can offer. It is necessary for the patient to take appropriate medication, to reduce the inflammation at the source of the problem.
- Physiotherapy, for its part, can help soothe the pain and restore the proper functioning of the extremities of the body.
- Hot-cold therapy is also a great idea. Hot showers, the application of a hot water bottle and massages with rosemary alcohol are very effective.
- When someone suffers from this pathology, it must absolutely rest for a while. All musculoskeletal disorders cause those who suffer to change their lifestyle.
- Specialists recommend that patients sleep on their backs by placing the arm that makes them suffer behind their head.
Cervicobrachialgia is well cared for
The prognosis of doctors on cervicobrachialgia is generally positive. This means that those who do not have too heavy a clinical history tend to heal fairly quickly, between 4 and 6 weeks.
- Those who suffer from osteoarthritis or arthritis will have more difficulties to get rid of this pathology. If they suffer from it in a chronic way, they will alternate phases of intense pains with quieter weeks.
- If you are in this situation, you must give special care to your lifestyle. Good nutrition, moderate exercise and control over your stress and anxiety should improve your situation.
For those who have a more complex symptomatology, surgery is the last resort against this pathology. However, only health professionals can make a decision of such importance.