The talent and wealth of the French regions are well established. Auvergne has once again proved it by slipping into the top 10 regions to visit in 2016, a ranking produced by Lonely Planet.
According to the famous tourist guide, it is the sixth region to discover, especially after Transylvania in Romania, Waiheke Island in New Zealand or the vineyards of Friuli in Italy. The only French region in the ranking of this “Best Of 2016”, it was chosen by a panel of experts on the basis of several criteria: “News, recent tourist initiatives or still preserved framework,” report our colleagues at FranceTV info.
Auvergne, located in the center of France, is described by the guide as a “little known jewel”. It is also praised for its heritage, its landscapes, its “most beautiful natural sites” which serve as “a showcase for contemporary creation”, the richness of its culture and its events, as well as its specialties, such as cheese. “More and more French people, tired of crowded beaches, are now looking for refuge in this preserved territory and Auvergne is reinventing itself to better welcome them (outdoor activities, ambitious artistic projects …), all without yielding an ounce of sound. rural charm, “continues Anita Isalka, the author of the description.
“A new wind blows on the center of France,” according to Lonely Planet. The guide, which will be published on October 29 and distributed in 8 languages, should help this world-renowned region to become famous all over the world.
>>> Discover all the “10 regions to visit in 2016”, according to the Lonely Planet guide:
- 1 Transylvania, Romania Susan McCartney via Getty Images Bran Castle, near Braşov in Transylvania.
- 2 West Iceland WIN-Initiative via Getty Images The Hraunfossar are small waterfalls located on the Litlafjlót River in western Iceland.
- 3 Viñales Valley, Cuba GiÃ ¥ m / Flickr The Viñales Valley is located in Cuba in the province of Pinar del Río, near the town of Viñales.
- 4 The vineyards of Friuli, Italy zakaz86 via Getty Images The Collio wine region.
- 5 Waiheke Island, New Zealand David Wall Photo via Getty Images View of Putiki Bay. Waiheke Island is a New Zealand island located in the Hauraki Gulf.
- 6 Auvergne, France BERNARD JAUBERT VIA Getty Images Picherande is in the Puy-de-Dôme department in the Auvergne region.
- 7 Hawaii, United States Jupiterimages via Getty Images A beach in Maui, the second largest island in the Hawaiian archipelago. Hawaii is an American state, made up of an archipelago of 137 islands.
- 8 Bavaria, Germany Polybert49 / Flickr Westpark is a large public park in the city of Munich. The Free State of Bavaria is located in the south-east of Germany
- 9 Costa Verde, Brazil Franck Camhi via Getty Images A beach in Ilha Grande, the largest island in the state of Rio de Janeiro Costa Verde is one of the most beautiful coasts of Brazil, located in the state of Rio de Janeiro .
- 10 The British island of Saint Helena, south of the Atlantic Ocean Allan White via Getty Images Jamestown is the capital of the British island of St. Helena. St. Helena is a volcanic island of 122 km2, located in the middle of the South Atlantic Ocean.