Several readers told me that the chronicle of Will we be immortal? is interesting, but it would be nice to have a synthesis of the concrete advice given in this book, given the size of the book and the chronicle. It’s done with these 10 things that can make a huge difference in your life if you apply them day after day, because there’s nothing more powerful to build something than to do it brick by brick, day after day. day: one day we turn back and contemplate astonished the edifice of our life, composed of all these bricks, of all those days that we have accumulated. By taking care of our health every day, we put a brick every day in the building of our long and healthy life. Here are ten of his habits that are as many bricks to ask each day. Follow the guide.
Warning : I am neither a doctor nor a nutritionist. However, I rely on two books written or co-authored by doctors for this article:
- Will we be immortal ?, co-authored by Dr. Terry Grossman, who relies on more than 200 scientific studies to support his remarks.
- Anticancer, from Dr. David Servan-Schreiber
1 – Limit your consumption of red meat to a minimum
It is best to avoid red meat, even lean, because cattle are usually saturated with hormones and antibiotics used in industrial farms, especially because it takes longer to rear a cow or a pig that a hen. In addition, this meat is often high in cholesterol, and there is a risk of infection with prions, because of mad cow disease.
At worst, eat organic red meat, but try to favor white meat and fish rich in EPA / DHA, including salmon. Take organic if you can.
2 – Choose the right fats
That is, Omega 3 and Omega 6 fats rather than saturated fats and unsaturated fats (for an explanation of what saturated and unsaturated fats are, see Chapter 6: Fats and Proteins of Will We Immortal?).
To do this, focus on the following foods:
- The nuts
- The fish rich in EPA and DHA, including salmon (wild salmon contains more than farmed salmon) and having low levels of mercury.
- Oil olive extra-virgin (this last point is very important).
- Of flax seed and linseed oil pressed naturally.
- Of vegetables .
- Du tofu .
- Lean meats, especially white meats ( chicken, turkey ). Obviously, it is better to select high farm poultry without hormones and antibiotics.
And absolutely avoid:
- Saturated fats from fatty meats , butter, milk and other animal products.
- Commercial cooking oils (always prefer them extra-virgin olive oil).
- Hydrogenated fats from margarine or vegetable fats , and almost all commercial pastries.
- To fry in deep fryer . It is best to sauté over high heat using extra-virgin olive oil, and the best is to put water in a wok, add a small amount of oil, and cook for a short time at medium or moderate temperature.
3 – Chewing well is very important for our health
In fact, swallowing too large pieces before they have been properly ground, and mixed with saliva, forces the digestive tract to secrete larger amounts of potent digestive enzymes, which can cause an excess of gas. and bloating, and with time hurt the stomach. So take your time when you eat. (I also invite you to read 5 great reasons to eat more slowly.)
4 – Eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day
Here is the tip advice given by the official program of the Ministry of Health, Eat Move, with good reason.
The benefits of consuming fresh, natural, low-starch vegetables are endless: they contain a myriad of valuable nutrients and fiber, and have a low glycemic index and low caloric density. However, care must be taken not to over-cook them: too much cooking will cause them to lose vitamins, phytochemicals and other nutrients. The ideal is a light steaming , or raw consumption for some of them.
Attention, it is 5 servings of fruits and vegetables: eat 3 radishes and two grapes will obviously not be enough! And it is quite possible to eat 10 servings: 5 is the recommended minimum. Tip: Rather than counting the number of fruits and vegetables you eat, which can be painful, just think of making half of each meal vegetable or fruit.
Remember to consume well colored products: By eating a whole series of naturally colored vegetables, you get a whole series of vital nutrients.
You can also drink freshly squeezed vegetable juice: putting fresh, natural, low-starch vegetables in an electric juicer produces one of the healthiest beverages, low in calories and rich in vitamins and minerals. The best vegetables for this are celery, cucumber and fennel, and you can use small amounts of red or green leaves of romaine, endive, escarole, spinach, parsley or kale. Avoid high-sugar vegetables such as beets or carrots.
5 – Drink tea instead of coffee
Photo Credit emueses
Many tea constituents are good for your health. A recent study in the American Hearth Association newspaper found that drinking two cups of tea a day reduced the risk of death by myocardial infarction by a remarkable 44% (Tea consumption and mortality after acute myocardial infarction). This discovery applies to black tea and green tea, but not to herbal teas. The tea also contains L-threonine, which reduces the level of cortisol and promotes relaxation. The most beneficial tea is green tea , with additional antioxidants that lower the risk of heart disease or cancer. Try to take your tea without sugar (see next tip).
6 – Reduce your sugar consumption sharply
When we eat a meal containing a lot of sugars, the blood glucose level rises quickly and the pancreas reacts by immediately secreting a lot of insulin, which regulates glucose, including helping to pass it into the cells. This keeps the blood glucose under control, but these temporary insulin spikes often exceed their target and bring the blood glucose level too low, leading to a more intense need for sugars – a real vicious circle!
Over time, a continual abuse of this cycle causes the cells in our body to develop a lower sensitivity to insulin . This insulin resistance is one of the main causes of the metabolic syndrome, and can also lead to type 2 diabetes, which means that whatever the amount of insulin produced by the body, the blood glucose is still too high.
Many problems are caused by excessive blood glucose levels , such as an inhibition of the immune system, the promotion of the growth of pathological cells such as fungal infections and cancers, competition with vitamin C using the same transport system, and who is thus hampered in his mission to fight infections and the development of body tissues, etc.
It is therefore necessary to avoid as much as possible foods that are too rich in sugar and to favor those with a low glycemic index (GI). You can consult for example the table of foods of the site Nutrition.
7 – Eat Anticancer
Here are the recommendations of the authors of Will we be immortal? in order to prevent as much as possible the appearance of cancers, which are very similar to those of Dr. David Servan-Schreiber in Anticancer:
– Drink vegetable juice : start your day with a glass of 225 to 350 ml of squeezed vegetable juice as part of your breakfast. Mix juice from some cucumbers, broccoli, kale, cabbage, carrot (but not more to avoid excess sugar) and other green vegetables. This will bring you almost half of your needs even before you leave home. Of course, choose organic vegetables.
– Adopt the Mediterranean diet : low in red meat and giving priority to whole grains, fish and fresh fruits and vegetables, it has been associated with many benefits, including a reduction in the risk of cancer. The Mediterranean diet also uses generous quantities of extra virgin olive oil, fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce and cooked tomatoes.
– Avoid white Satan: white sugar . Cancer cells consume this sugar very greedily, and you can inhibit the formation of cancer by avoiding foods with high glycemic load.
– Have a physical activity : Physical activity has been associated with a lower incidence of cancer, as opposed to a sedentary lifestyle. Adults should practice moderate activity for a minimum of 150 minutes per week, achieved in any combination, with a minimum of 10 minutes per session. Children and adolescents should engage in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 60 minutes a day.
– Avoid pesticides : Exposure to agricultural chemicals has been linked to many cancers. Farmers have a 40% increased risk of stomach cancer, 50% rectal, 40% larynx and 40% prostate. It is therefore important to eat organic foods.
– Lose your excess weight : Being overweight or obese is an independent factor for various types of cancer.
– Avoid smoking : it seems obvious, and it is. The list of diseases related to cigarette smoke reads like the little black book of the Angel of Death . Smoking increases the risk of cancer in all tobacco smoke tissues in its pathways (lungs, mouth, throat, larynx), exits (kidneys and bladders), and in different areas between them. pathways (cervix, pancreas). Smoking also dramatically increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, including myocardial infarction, sudden cardiac death and stroke. And smoking significantly increases the risk of lung problems such as emphysema, asthma, chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), etc. And this is an incomplete list! The authors therefore recommend that, if you smoke, you immediately commit to a smoking cessation program.
To go further, you can download the companion booklet of Anticancer, anti-cancer reflexes daily, or read the book Anticancer (or the audio book if you do not have time to read?).
8 – Play sports regularly
Here are the various benefits of doing a regular activity:
- Reduced risk of disease
- Reduction of blood pressure
- Increased strength of ligaments and tendons
- Stress reduction and help with healing and depression
- Improved sleep
- Reduced risk of more types of cancer (including those of the colon, prostate and breast)
- Improved physical appearance
- Improved self-confidence
- Strengthening bones, reducing the risk of osteoporosis
- Increase in energy
One study found that the overall death rate for a group that engaged in average physical activity was 60% lower than the control sedentary group.
The best is to practice regular aerobic physical activity (with oxygen) . It speeds up the pace of your heart and your breathing, and increases air consumption. This type of activity includes sports such as walking, swimming, cycling, rowing and cross-country skiing . A key aspect of this type of activity is that it involves at least 20 minutes of continuous and rhythmic effort of the most important muscles, in all parts of the body: although our heart also benefits from significant but brief effort in some sports such as tennis or basketball, these are not optimal forms of aerobic physical activity.
9 – Massage and get a massage
Wanhoff Photo Credit
Stress results in stimulation of the adrenal cortex, which produces a hormone: cortisol. Cortisol causes a very large but temporary increase in energy, and stimulation of the brain’s memory centers so that they work faster. Other hormones are secreted during stress, including adrenaline and norepinephrine.
These hormones are very powerful: they almost stop the digestive process, increase blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol levels, fibriogen levels, heart rate and breathing. This mechanism, intended to activate occasionally in case of sudden physical danger, is still useful from time to time, but its continued activation is a major factor of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, cancer , rheumatoid arthritis, depression and accelerated aging.
There are many ways to fight stress, and massage is one that is probably not used enough in our society.
This practice has many positive effects recognized:
- Soothes and calm
- Relieves pain
- Improve sleep
- Increases breathing capacity
- Improves digestion and reduces constipation
- Improves blood and lymphatic circulation, resulting in better oxygenation and better elimination of toxins
- Improve the health of the skin
- Increases awareness of emotions
- Increases self-esteem and personal appreciation
- Contributes to openness and stress resistance
You can indulge yourself by offering the services of professional masseurs, and obviously do this “as a hobbyist”, with your spouse, or even practice self-massage: for example, massage your shoulders going look with your fingers at the shoulder blades, and yawning while you do this massage. This small self-massage that is feasible in any circumstance is very relaxing and will allow you to relax easily in almost any situation.
If you massage or have an amateur massage, do not forget the massage oil, which makes all the difference between amateurs and enlightened amateurs? . You can also self massage with massage oil: to go further, read 50 self-massages with essential oils.
10 – Meditate
Photo Credit alicepopkorn
Another royal way to fight stress is meditation. As I point out in my column of The Art of Meditation, many scientific studies – like this one (Harvard University), this one (University of Montreal) or that one (see also the conferences of the Mind & Life Institute or all these other studies) – have discovered or proven many benefits to the practice of meditation , such as:
- A considerable reduction in stress
- Reduced anxiety, tendency to anger, and depressive tendencies
- A noticeable strengthening of the immune system
- A reinforcement of the positive emotions and the faculties of attention
- A decrease in blood pressure in hypertensives
Read The Art of Meditation or the Chronicle to learn to meditate, then practice. It is better to have small regular sessions (10 to 15 minutes for example) than large, irregular sessions.
Live long: conclusion
If you manage to put these habits into practice on a daily basis, the studies are formal: your chances of living long, healthy, happy and relaxed will be greatly improved, and your chances of dying prematurely from a serious illness such as cancer or heart disease will be greatly diminished. It’s up to you. But do not forget: “Everything in moderation, including moderation”. If you fall off your horse, get back on track right away: many programs have been abandoned by discouraged people after a temporary failure. Know how to make small differences, as long as the bulk of your diet is healthy.
Click here to download free the book of the author of this article: click here to download the book for free! 🙂